The West Point Site

Project Summary: Archaeological Site 9TP973

Steam boat
View SlideShow

The West Point Site includes the Chattahoochee River in the downtown area of the City of West Point and extends approximately 1.5 miles to the north.  The areas of study on this site date back to the 1830s, and include everything from bridges to vessels, and a variety of artifacts dating from the 1830s to present day.  There are the remains of multiple bridges on the site.  Among these are the remains of the 1838 Horace King covered bridge and the 1850s railroad bridge, both burned by Union Troops following the Battle of West Point on April 17, 1865.  Of particular interest are the remains of several stern paddlewheel steamboats operated between the early 1880s and 1895.  Five known boats were built for the Chattahoochee Navigation Company and were in operation on the river during this time.  The remains of one boat, the C.W. Jones have been identified, and West Georgia Underwater Archaeological Society has been working to map and document a second unidentified boat on the site, possibly the Belle Lanier.  Also on the site are the remains of various wagons, early automobiles, and a 1930s era racing boat.

                              Racing Boat
View SlideShow