SEADive.org

Regarding our name change - WGUAS.org is changing to SEADive.org - and, although our archaeology is conducted in a freshwater river and we don't actually "dive in the sea", the SEA stands for SouthEast Archaeological Divers - as our members are from all over the South East. So, please change your links - we're no longer wguas.org we're now SEADIVE.org

WGUAS

The West Georgia Underwater Archaeological Society was founded in 2002 by recreational divers and historians in West Georgia to discover, conserve, and preserve local submerged historical sites.  WGUAS seeks to educate the public about the importance of our underwater heritage.  We are a non-profit organization, and a local chapter of the Society for Georgia Archaeology.  Since 2002, WGUAS has been working with The Georgia Department of Natural Resources to document Georgia Archaeological Site 9TP973, "The West Point Site".  

WGUAS is permitted by the State of Georgia to conduct archaeological operations on this site and abides by all laws governing archaeology in the State of Georgia. WGUAS proudly serves as stewards of this archaeological site to ensure its protection from looting and vandalism.  We work closely with the City of West Point and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources law enforcement to safeguard and protect this site and the artifacts contained therein.  Any artifacts recovered from the site by WGUAS are recovered under direct supervision of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and become property of the State to be shared with local museums and educational institutions for public viewing.

Project Summary: Archaeological Site 9TP973

The West Point site contains features and artifacts relating to over 165 years of local and regional history.  One of the most notable features on the site is an 1838 covered bridge constructed by a former slave named Horace King. King was born into slavery in 1807 and freed by the Alabama Legislature in 1845.  He built numerous covered bridges and other structures throughout  Georgia and Alabama, and later served two terms in the Alabama Legislature before his death in 1885.  The 1838 bridge was the first bridge to cross the Chattahoochee River in West Point, Georgia, and possibly is the oldest remaining structure in West Point.  On April 17, 1865, about 2000 Union soldiers marched into West Point.  A day long battle took place between the troops and about 300 Confederate soldiers who occupied Fort Tyler above the river.  The following day, the Union troops burned this bridge, as well as the railroad bridge about a half mile to the north.  The 5m x 10m wooden crib style bridge support is still preserved below the waterline, and is the only known remaining example of this type by King.  Also submerged are the remains of the covered bridge built to replace the King bridge in 1866 and an 1885 iron bridge.  Both bridges were built two blocks to the north of the King bridge and were destroyed by floods.

Member News

Charles & Mindy Picture from the 2nd Annual Michael J. Norwood Dive with John Chatterton on the U352